Patients often ask our office “Do I really need personal injury protection insurance?” The answer is a definite “YES” and "NOW".
Personal injury protection coverage, or PIP insurance, is no fault insurance that protects you and the occupants of your vehicles when you are involved in an automobile collision. It is typically available in increments of $2,500.00 of coverage and total coverage as high as $10,000.00 per person in PIP coverage. PIP is only useful to you if you have coverage before you get into the accident. We encourage all of our patients to add this coverage to your policy immediately. If you have been already been in the accident, ask your insurance adjuster if you have coverage or we can check for you.
Many people who chose not to carry it, do so because they believe it is duplicative of other coverage such as their health insurance.
People often do not realize that many health insurance plans contain a clause that makes them secondary to any other form of liability coverage. What this means for someone who is involved in a motor vehicle collision, is that their health insurance may well deny the claim expecting them to look to the other driver’s auto policy. The other auto policy, may dispute liability. If it does, who pays out of pocket for the medical bills? Answer is, you do.
Even if the other driver’s policy accepts liability, they do not pay for your care as you go. They only pay to settle the claim once you have "completed’ your medical care and submitted a claim. Some people never ‘complete’ their care. They may have issues for years. As a result, your bills pile up with no one paying them but you.
To make matters worse, most of the doctors out there are aware of the difficulties of getting paid when an auto collision is the source of the injury. As a result, you may find that the primary care doctor who has treated you for years suddenly refuses to treat you because he knows that the health insurance company is going to deny payment.
Personal injury protection (PIP) coverage is insurance designed to cover some of the initial medical expenses and losses to help injury victims get the care they need and get back on their feet. You buy a set amount and it pays first when your car is in a collision. You do not have to go to the other driver’s insurance or your health insurance carrier to seek payment first. If you do not have personal injury protection covering you and the people in your vehicle, you should get it today.
Who is covered?
Those covered include (1) the person driving and (2) any passengers in the insured vehicle. These people are covered regardless of who is considered at fault.
How do I get PIP or MedPay?
PIP and/or MedPay is an available option on nearly all automobile insurance policies. It is fairly inexpensive, usually costing $30-50 for the entire year.
What are the benefits of having PIP or MedPay?
- No Hassles - You do not have to worry about fighting an insurance company or suing another driver. Your own insurance company pays your medical bills, and seek reimbursement from the other insurance company.
- Get the Care you Need, Right away - There is no delay between your accident and receiving the chiropractic care you may need. Patients are often seen the same day as the accdient.
- Everyone gets taken care of - Every passenger in the car is covered individually. If your PIP or MedPay amount is $5000, every passenger injured can receive up to that amount of care ($5000 each person).
- Your Rates Cannot Go Up - Your own insurance premium rates cannot increase as the results of you using PIP or MedPay to cover your treatment.
- No Surprise Bills - Often a case is settled and the patient thinks the medical bills have been pain; in many cases they have not. A patient with PIP or MedPay never has to worry about receiving a bill two months after the case is over.
Call or contact the trusted Fort Worth Chiropractor and Pain Management doctors who provide expert advice and diagnosis for Injuries arising from Auto Accidents and Car Accident. Make an appointment or call us at 817-831-3388 to experience the difference our doctors make in healing your pain.